You Are What You Eat

Eat, Drink, and Be Merry!

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Too pooped to pop...any more champagne!


Happy New Year To All My Blonde Appetit Readers!!!!

I am sitting at Jr's house....super sleepy from last night's festivities. I hope that you all had a joyous New Years Eve. There is always something refreshing about beginning a new year. 2009 is a clean slate and there are 364 more days to be filled up with unexpected happenings. I just returned home from watching Marley and Me with my bestest gal pal. Awwwww. It is great, but a real tear jerker. One theme that resonated with me was the element of surprise. How life can surprise you , no matter how well you plan it out. Also, how you can surprise yourself with what you want, what you become, and the moments that truly make you happy. I think that 2009 is going to be full of surprises for me. Full of unknowns. Truthfully, it makes me feel both excited and scared. So, raise your champagne glasses, and toast with me to 2009. May we all surprise ourselves.

Today, we made a feast of ham, greens and beans (ps. Southerners...black eyed peas are not really peas but beans...fyi. Just saying). A Southern New Years Day tradition! Here's to a prosperous New Years!!! $$$

Virgin Collard Greens (my first attempt)

1 bunch fresh collards, washed and trimmed

1/2 cup brown sugar, or so, plus more to taste

1/4 cup or so salt

3 pats butter

1 ham hock
Vinegar would be a great addition, but someone doesn't care for it too much. hmmm.

Bring a stock pot full of salted water to a boil. Cut the collards into skinny strips. Add 2/3s to the boiling water. Add the ham hock, brown sugar, and butter to the water. In a steamer over the pot, add the remaining 1/3 collards and sprinkle with more brown sugar. Put the lid on the pot and turn heat to low. Let set for 3+ hours. Before serving, add the steamed collards to the pot. When ready to serve, strain the water, leaving the ham in the pot. So simple yet, full of flavor!!!

No comments: