You Are What You Eat

Eat, Drink, and Be Merry!

Monday, October 27, 2008

Tonight the Great Pumpkin will rise out of the pumpkin patch. He flies through the air and brings toys to all the children of the world. - Linus

Mmmmm. I have not tried this recipe. However in my quest for all things Halloween, I stumbled across this yummy sounding dish! Maybe I am still on a carb high from PASTA WEEK or maybe it is the chilly Autumn air, but I think this pasta dish sounds great! Warm and cozy!

I know, it is written using the Metric system. (Do you remember when we were kids and they were trying to convert us Americans over to Metric...that was short lived?!) But back to the measurements...if you cook like me...I would simply eyeball everything to the liking of my taste buds. If you like cheese (like me!!!), then simply add more cheese. I believe that this recipe is more about a blending of flavors. It sounds quite rustic and dee-lish!

Bacon and Pumpkin Pasta
courtesy: www.bbcgoodfood.com

Ingrediants:

3 tbsp olive oil
140g pancetta or bacon, cut into cubes (abt 5oz)
1 small onion , thinly sliced
25g butter (abt 2 tablespoons)
500g/1lb 2oz pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and diced
20g pack fresh sage , finely shredded (abt 2 tablespoons)
400g pasta (we used penne) (14oz or abt 1 lb)
25g freshly grated parmesan , plus extra to serve (abt 2 tablespoons)

Method:

Heat a heavy-based saucepan, add 1 tbsp olive oil and pancetta or bacon, then cook for a few mins. Add remaining oil and the onion. Cook for 5 mins, until the onion softens and the pancetta is crispy.

Stir in the butter, then tip in the pumpkin or squash and sage. Mix well to combine, then season. Cover and cook for 6-8 mins, stirring occasionally until the pumpkin is soft, but not falling apart.

Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to pack instructions. Drain and add to the pumpkin mixture. Stir in the parmesan and season. Serve in pasta bowls sprinkled with extra parmesan.

Making it vegetarian or greener
Fry halved mushrooms with the onion instead of pancetta. Or add a couple of handfuls of baby spinach before adding the Parmesan.

No comments: