You Are What You Eat

Eat, Drink, and Be Merry!

Thursday, November 13, 2008

You Don't Have To Take My Word For It...

Yum-O! I just had the tastiest dinner. To top it off, it all came from my pantry (and freezer). Jr. had pulled some Greenwise Sundried Tomato and Basil Chicken Sausages out of the freezer. Hum. What could we make? Well we had spaghetti sauce. Okay. Noodles. Good. Maybe add some mushrooms. And how about that Rosemary plant? Sure. We'll see. That may be too much.


I am guilty as charged. I am an over-doctor-er. Jr. called me out on it the other night. He was picking on me that I couldn't just serve some foods as they come. One of the items he listed was Spaghetti-Os. I began to crack up to the point where tears were coming out of my eyes and my belly hurt. I do exactly what he says I do. He has not once in all this time said anything. However, the last time I made Spaghetti-Os for him (yes, he is older than 4, I am not that much of a cougar! geez!), well...anyways...I put a little black pepper and crushed red pepper flakes in it. Not alot. Just a tad. I don't know why I always feel compelled to add a dash of this and that. I just do!


Tonight I told myself I was going to keep it simple. It worked.


First I put olive oil in a deep saute pan, let it heat and then added the sausage. I lightly browned both sides on high heat and then lowered the heat to medium and let them saute longer. I got impatient and then sliced the sausages in half so that they would cook faster! As they were simmering I decided that the sauce needed something, so I grabbed a 4.5 oz jar of Green Giant sliced mushrooms and added them to the pan. Oooh good. I had forgotten to drain the liquid, but it helped poach the sausages and keep them from getting too tough. I turned the heat to low and put the lid on for about 15 minutes. (I am guesstimating, because I actually realized that the rotini I was going to use was almost gone. I had to run to the crummy Kroger, which I cannot stand and wish I could avoid at all costs* but am sucked into going to because it is so convenient. I grabbed $3 from Jr. and ran out the door. I needed spaghetti noodles. I was happily persuded into the Barilla 51% Whole Wheat Spaghetti. It was stamped with Oprah's buddy's Best Life logo. So it must be good for you. I had yet to find a whole wheat noodle that I liked, so why not give this try. Oprah eats it. And it was on sale, $1.35 with your Kroger card. And I bumped into Hot Dan in the parking lot. Grrrr. (actual Cougar moment.)


When I arrived home, Jr. was making a toasty fire. Cozy! The spaghetti water was rapidly boiling. I added about 1/2 of the box of spaghetti noodles. The sausages looked nice and plump. I sliced them into smaller disks.** I added a jar of Classico Vodka sauce. It looked creamy and smelled great. I was glad that I saved the red sauce for ground beef because the delicate Vodka sauce better complimented the mellow, savory sausages and mild mushrooms. I let the sauce come to a boil, turned it to simmer, and put the lid on it. About 15 minutes later Jr. came poking to the kitchen and snagging some Wheat Thins. Somebody was hungry! The sauce looked ready and the spaghetti was drained. I dashed it with a little olive oil to keep it from sticking and dinner was served.

It was dee-lish. Clean Plate Club all around! What a surprise success!!!

Vodka Sauce with Sundried Tomato and Basil Chicken Sausage

Ingredients:
1 box Barilla whole wheat pasta, 1/2 the box (there was extra sauce, so you could use the whole box and eat for leftovers. Which we never do. Even though I always think we will.)
1 jar Classico Vodka Sauce
1 package Sundried Tomato and Basil Chicken Sausages
1 4.5 oz. jar Green Giant sliced mushrooms

*I have had it out with the dumbest checkout girl in the world. Tonight I saw her at the self checkout. I waited in the long line instead. Once I was in line with customer service to say something about her rude behavior and a British women behind me was doing the same thing. Crazy. Cannot believe she still works there! Jr. once taught her in school. I hear she sucked then too.

**Hee. Hee. I added some Rosemary. Shhhhhh.

No comments: