You Are What You Eat

Eat, Drink, and Be Merry!

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Say Cheese!

Last Friday, Jr and I went to a Halloween party at Carolina Walk. Since Halloween just happens to be Jr.'s FAV holiday, it was the first of many costume parties that we will attend before Oct. 31st. Jr.'s costume is TOP secret until its final reveal. He happened to set the bar quite high last year and he knew that he had his work cut out for him. So, the shopping process began early. A gold jersey. A cave-man like wig. Dracula teeth. It finally hit me - Teen Wolf. But, it was a work in progress. As the rain fell on Friday afternoon, I arrived at his house to find him cutting a body suit pattern and sewing it together on his old, baby blue Singer sewing machine. (yes. he can sew!) I had my doubts that it would be ready. However, he pulled it off! It was a hit!

Unfortunately, the components to my costume had yet to arrive from eBay. (I did not realize it would take so long to ship from ...opps!...Neveda!) I made a mad dash in 5 o'clock traffic to Halloween Express. What could I be?! I began to slightly panic! A sailor girl. Too big. Alice in Wonderland. Too...I don't know. Too oh la la. I Love Lucy. "Too doughty," said the dressing room attendant. Fairy wings could be fun. I love a good prop! How about "A Barrel of Monkeys"? Funny, but kinda dorky. I felt like Goldilocks trying out porridge. Speaking of Goldilocks, there was even one of her. And then I saw it. Raggedy Ann! I grew up loving that little doll. My version was slightly "different" shall we say. It is a given rule that Halloween is the one time where even the most proper of ladies can channel their inner vixon. It was fun. (the striped stockings were my FAV) A nod to the past.

I had forgotten how much fun it was to dress up! Another major part of the night is taking pictures. So check out the guests...SAYING CHEESE!

Speaking of CHEESE. EarthFare has an excellent selection of gourmet cheese for your upcoming Halloween soiree!

May you find the following hints from Earthfare to be helpful:

"When arranging your own gourmet cheese board, make sure to include a mix of flavors and textures, for example – one soft, one sharp, one blue, and a fresh Chèvre goat cheese. Or, choose a gourmet platter prepared by our Specialty Department.

Classic Tray

A sumptuous selection of creamy French Brie, fresh Chèvre, Swiss Menthol, Dill Havarti and Sharp Cheddar.

Holiday Favorites

An elegant arrangement of Wensleydale with cranberries, herbed Brie, Bucheron, English Stilton, Dutch Parrano and a decadent sun-dried tomato cheese spread." http://www.earthfare.com/

Brie, Fig & Candied Walnut Tart

When searching for something quick yet delicious to prepare for unexpected guests or last minute get-togethers, may we suggest this decadent tart.

Start with one kilo wheel of Président brie, an authentic soft white rind cheese from the La Brie province located southeast of Paris. Slice through the diameter creating two perfect discs.
Spread Dalmatian fig preserves between the two halves of the Brie. Dalmatian fig spread comes from Adriatic figs, hand-picked by local farmers in the Dalmatia region of Croatia. The figs are sun-dried and carefully cooked to sweet perfection, capturing the superior natural flavor of the Dalmatian fig variety.

Top with candied walnuts and heat in the oven until Brie is warm and creamy. Serve with Waterwheel crackers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your Raggedy Ann outfit..I had only seen your headshot..the whole costume is adorable! You picked a winner Lis! Not as hot as your ping pong getup last year though. Afterall I may be bias.

CarolinaBlonde said...

OMG - We had a blast last year. I hated it was your "going away"!!! Can't wait to see pics of your sassy Star Wars ensemble!