You Are What You Eat

Eat, Drink, and Be Merry!

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Jenn Allen's Chocolate Chunk Buckwheat Cookies

Let's hear it for the power of facebook! That is the exact type of statement that Jenn Allen would kill me for writing. Jenn and I have been friends, former classmates and band geeks, since middle school! Jenn resides out in California and she and I hooked up via facebook! Jenn is always whetting our palates with her yummy status updates. She is baking this and cooking that! When I saw her post that she was baking these cookies, I had to get the recipe! Jenn tells me that she is a fan of swapping recipes! If yall enjoy this cookie recipe, let me know. I am sure she would love to share one of her fragrant bread recipes in exchange for one of yours. Blonde Appetit loves to share! Thanks so much Jenn! You are quite the modern-day chef!

Chocolate Chunk Buckwheat Cookies
from "The New Whole Grains Cookbook" by Robin Asbell
some edits and paraphrasing by me
Makes about 12 cookies

-1/2 c unsalted butter, softened
-1 c brown sugar
-1 large egg (I used a "flax egg" 2.5 Tbs ground flaxseed + 3 Tbs water, stir)
-2 tsp vanilla extract
-1/4 tsp almond extract
-1 c +2 Tbs Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-1/4 tsp salt
-1/2 c buckwheat groats (I use the toasted ones, also called kasha)
-6 oz semisweet chocolate cut into chunks (I used 4 oz bittersweet, next time it is all about the dark)

-Preheat oven to 375
-Cream the butter and brown sugar until fluffy
-Beat in all wet ingredients until well mixed
-In a separate small bowl combine flour, baking soda, salt and buckwheat.
-Add to butter mixture and beat until incorporated (careful...not too much, just until well mixed).
-Stir in chocolate chunks.
-Drop by 2 Tbs balls onto ungreased cookie sheet, 3" btwn each cookie if using 2 baking sheets (and you likely are)
-Bake 6 minutes and reverse the position of the sheets in the oven and bake another 4-6 minutes more.
-Robin says " A pale, soft center surrounded by golden brown cookie is the desired result.
-Cool on sheets for 5 minutes then transfer to cooling racks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jenn- thanks for discovering my cookies- I love crunching on buckwheat-it's just like having chopped nuts in the cookie.
I hope you have enjoyed the other recipes in The New Whole Grains Cookbook.
It was a labor of love.
My next book, The New Vegetarian Cookbook, comes out in Fall of '09, I hope you will give it a look, too!

CarolinaBlonde said...

What an honor!!! Thank you for commenting Robin!