You Are What You Eat

Eat, Drink, and Be Merry!

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Make-Your-Own -Mask! (not the kind for trick-or-treating)


When I was a preteen, I would try every homemade concoction to help beautify myself: from doing Judy Blume's "I must, I must, I must, increase my bust," as preached in Are You There God, It's Me Margaret (the best coming of age book to date!) to chamomile tea baths to washing my hair with mayonnaise and eggs. I wanted to look like the thick haired All-American models on the cover of Seventeen Magazine. However, when you are 5'4'', 95 lbs, with size 8 feet, braces, glasses, you haven't grow into your nose, and your boobs have yet to grow into you, it can be a heart-breaking ride to feeling pretty and cool. Did I mention that I also played the clarinet? First chair, first seat. And we kept the pimple cream in the fridge.

I can look back at the photographs and remember the awkwardness. However, I now see a cute kid on the verge of blossoming. As an adult, we still have those days where we feel just plain ugly and have the self-confidence of a middle-schooler.

I love to take a moment for myself when that feeling strikes. Get a pedicure. Go visit the MAC counter for a new season of make-up. Get a spray tan for its mood boosting, magical orange glow. Or simply, take a hot bath, throw on my coziest robe, light some candles, and raid my fridge.

You can find a wide variety of skin pleasing ingredients to make homemade face masks right in your own kitchen. My FAV is an olive oil (or honey) and sugar rub. I like to follow that with a tightening clay mask. Then I slather on my richest eye cream. I also figure that if it good enough for your sensitive skin, it's plumping qualities will do wonder on my neck too. Oh to be Madonna and her $1,000 skin cream and plastic suits. Poor Guy Ritchie!

SO TRY THESE MASKS. THEY LOOK AND TASTE GOOD EVEN TO EAT. ALTHOUGH YOU MAY LOOK A LITTLE CRAZY DOING BOTH AT THE SAME TIME! I SUGGEST PAIRNG WITH WINE. IN FACT, WINE WITH EVERYTHING! (my mom's fav lipstick when I was a kid...again with the subliminal advertising!)

Autumn Apple Face Mask - for exfoliating and refreshing
Ingredients:
1/4 of an apple
1/2 tsp Half and half
1 Tsp honey
1 T oatmeal
Instructions:
Mash with a fork in a small bowl and mix it together well. Then apply it to your face. Leave on for 10 minutes and then rinse off.

Banana, Honey and Yogurt Facial Mask - for moisturising
Ingredients:
1/2 banana
2 tablespoons yogurt
1 tablespoon honey
Instructions:
Mash the banana with a fork then mix in honey and yogurt. Apply to your face evenly. Leave it on for 15-20 minutes. Rinse off with cool water or soft wash cloth.

Brown Sugar and Milk Mask - for exfoliating
Ingredients:
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 - 2 tbsp milk, anything but skim
Instructions:
Mix the two ingredients well. Apply to freshly cleaned face and massage gently for a full minute - leave on for 15 minutes. Wash off with warm water and pat dry.

Refreshing Cucumber Mask - for soothing
Ingredients:
1 Tbsp full-fat yogurt
1 Tbsp cucumber; chopped
1 Tbsp fresh parsley
; chopped
Instructions:
Puree all ingredients in a blender. Apply to freshly cleaned face and leave on for 15 minutes. Wash off with warm water and pat dry.


I love to do the following...my skin can be dry in the winter. This gives it a nice glow. Granulated sugar can be substituted for brown sugar...

Natural exfoliate for all skin types

Mix a tiny amount of brown sugar with olive oil in your palm. Once it turns into a paste, massage into your face. Cure chapped lips by mixing brown sugar with honey and massaging into lips. (Lena Korres, founder of Korres Natural Products, and makeup artist Jemima Kidd, in the July 2008 issue of Cosmo)


Feeling creative? The following ingrediants can be combined to create your own personalized mask. Click the link below to find out more about making "green" fask masks. Now that's good for Mother Earth and your skin!

Apple+Honey+Oatmeal
Avocado+Honey
Banana+Yogurt+Honey
Brown Sugar+Milk
Strawberries+Cream+Honey
Egg Yolk+Honey+Olive Oil
Oatmeal+Olive Oil
Cucumber+Yogurt+Strawberries+Honey
Blended Almonds+Honey+Egg White
Baking Soda+Water
Apricots+Milk
Lemon+Egg+Honey





1 comment:

Lori said...

My mom wore "wine with everyting" too! How funny!