You Are What You Eat

Eat, Drink, and Be Merry!

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Girls' Night In

Okay. Here's the deal. I have a girlfriend coming over in two very short minutes for a little vino. There is nothing better than catching up with good friends over cheap wine. I guess the alternative would be catching up with cheap girlfriends over good wine. Well...on second thought, those nights can be fun too! Unless, you interpreted that as stingy and not loose, because that would mean you would end of footing the bill. Anyways!

Speaking of cheap...ehhh....inexpensive wine, there are a lot of good alternatives out there these days. I have savvy friends that love to serve up $2 buck chuck from Trader Joe's. I have to admit, Yellowtail and Cavit can be decent magnums to serve a crowd too. Don't get me wrong - Blonde Appetit hearts great wine. However, if you are drinking a lot of it and you are drinking it quick, does it really matter?

I had a good day today. Worked. Not actually that bad! Then I got a spray tan - hello Holiday Market! Gotta have a little color in my cocktail dress. Let me tell you, Jr. is thrilled to go. He thinks it will be the bees knees. (hint the sarcasm) Then I went to the grocery store to pick up some goodies for tonight. Next I made the slightly awkward journey to my ex-beau's house to gather my holiday decorations from last year. Actually he never gave them back last year, so that means they are from the year before! Geez! Well, as you can see a lot of time has passed so it wasn't that weird. Although my girlie decorations were mixed with his USC balls. And so on. It reminded me a little of the scene in St. Elmo's Fire where Jude Nelson and who was that actress (?) divy up their records. Well, then I went to the river for a run-slash-walk with my dog!

The clock is ticking. My tree is up. Decorations complete. Maybe she will help me with my garland. I know!!! I will bribe her with food and wine! This is what is on my whore de vor ess list tonight:

Asparagus wrapped with Prosciutto (yum!), roasted slightly*

Mushrooms stuffed with cheese, spring onions, cherry tomato, and possibly a little of that yummy prosciutto. I may mix it up!

Cocoa Roasted Almonds

Mixed Nuts

Assorted cheeses. (not really, just some leftover cow cheese! I wanted to sound fancy.)

* this footnote is for my gal Kelsey: she thought the apps were dee-lish. Lil' Keltz is a few years younger than muah and has not yet been introduced to prosciutto. So how did you do this she asked? Simple. Take asparagus and snap off bottom. Toss asparagus in olive oil and a little pepper. Take prosciutto and tear into skinny strips. Wrap in a coil around asparagus stalk. Line on a small cookie sheet. Next, take the mushrooms and pop off the stems and hollow the center. Dice spring onions and place into center of mushroom. Place a dime size amount of Laughing Cow cheese into center. Place mushroom into a shallow baking dish. Half cherry tomatoes and toss around mushrooms. Drizzle with olive oil, lightly salt and pepper. Broil about 10-15 until the prosciutto is slightly crispy and cheese is melted. Let cool and transfer to serving dish. Then proceed to drink mucho vino and gossip.
**and yes, I think the picture looks a little janky. It is the anti-glamorous food shot. If I had only zoomed in closer. Darn. Too much cheap...ehhh....inexpensive wine. Need expensive pain med tomorrow morning. opps.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG i got Britney VIP tickets..my own parking space and ALL!!!! WHOO HOOO not til march but LIL goff surprised me for my bday! ANYHOOOO..spray tan.. i need to do that.. but I do love the TAN TOWEL!!! No smelly! xo

Lori said...

Love the new blog look! Please tell me where you got the spray tan. I'm in need of some color myself!

Lori said...

Wait....what's the spray towel Oh my GOFF speaks of? That sounds more my style. DO TELL!!

CarolinaBlonde said...

@ Lori - I am finding out for you!!!!