You Are What You Eat

Eat, Drink, and Be Merry!

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Don't Play With Your Food!!!

Do yall remember the scene in Mermaids where Cher's character would make the craziest concoctions for her family to eat? She adorned foods with marshmallows and sprinkles in hopes of being a "good mom".



As a single lady, I don't think too much about feeding the kiddos. However, today my girlfriend Kelsey informed me that she made Puppy Chow for her upcoming Tennis Holiday Party. What is that I inquired? She said her mom made it growing up! I may be the only person out there that has not heard of puppy chow, but the recipe will follow in a later post. I have a sneaking suspicion it is not for puppies... I wonder if it goes well with wine?

However it got me thinking about all the fun food ideas my mom would whip up for me so that I would eat my food. I don't think I was a picky eater, but it is a lot less hassle for kids to eat healthy when they think it actually a fun snack! I am not talking laborious make your own baby food, aka the Jessica Seinfeld route, just easy, creative kid-friendly snacks.

Bunny Salad

1 chilled pear, half
1 lettuce leaf
2 raisins
1 red cinnamon candy
2 blanched almonds
cottage cheese ball

1. Place the lettuce leaf on a plate. Place the pear upside down on top of it.
2. Use the top of the pear for the bunny's face. Take the raisins for eyes, the candy for the nose and the almonds for the ears.
3. A small scoop of cottage cheese makes the tail.

Banana Hot Dog Sandwich

1 hot dog bun
2 tablespoons peanut butter
1/2 banana

1. Toast the bun.
2. Take the peanut butter and spread onto bread.
3. Top with banana.

Bugs on a Log

1 stalk celery
2 tablespoons peanut butter
Raisins or chocolate chips

1. Cut the celery into thirds.
2. Fill with peanut butter.
3. Top with raisins or chips to resemble bugs

Dirt Cups

1 package Instant Pudding Mix
2 cups milk
16 oz Oreos
3 1/3 cup Cool Whip
8 gummy worms

1. Pour milk and pudding mix into a mixing bowl. Whisk for about 2 minutes. Let set about 5 minutes.
2. Crush the Oreos. Mix the cool whip and about 1/2 the Oreos into the pudding.
3. To make the cup: Place a spoonful of Oreos into a small clear plastic cup. Top with pudding mixture until about 2/3 full. Top with remaining Oreos to create the top "dirt" layer. Push a Worm into each cup.

English Muffin Pizza

6 oz tomato sauce, I like to buy the small can just for this...no waste
6 English Muffins split, I like the whole wheat kind
Garlic powder, oregano, basil
Mozzarella cheese, shredded
Turkey Pepperoni
Black olives, diced green peppers, etc., if your kids like them

1. Toast the English Muffins to get a firm base.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the sauce and a few spices to your liking.
3. Spread a thin layer of sauce on each 1/2 of muffin. Top with a layer of cheese. Add whatever toppings to your liking.
4. Put back into toaster oven and toast one final time to melt the cheese.

(p.s. this is a yummy snack for adults too!)


2 comments:

CarolinaBlonde said...

via facebook:
B Woodard wrote at 11:20am
your blog is so cute!

CarolinaBlonde said...

via facebook:
K Scala wrote at 5:15pm
just checked out the kids recipes! I'm going to try a few, starting with the banana and peanut butter. Sounds yummy!!! Oh, and the you tube video is so funny! What a cute kid