You Are What You Eat

Eat, Drink, and Be Merry!

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

My Favorite Savory Dinner for One


I am true believer that when one door closes, another one opens. Sometimes it is hard to see that light at the end of a tunnel, for example at the end of a relationship. Fortunately, and unfortunately, I have loved and lost a handful of men in the past. My advice to recent singles: take this opportunity to be your best self. Earlier this year, my life was in a different place. A great girlfriend of mine sent me a wonderful care package that I will never forget. One of the many items in it was a cozy scarf. "Grab a great book, throw on this scarf, and go snuggle up at a coffee shop. Alone. " is what she told me to do. The concept was invigorating. I did it. I read Eat, Pray, Love. I shopped for fabulous dresses. I hit the big city of Hot-lanta. I kissed boys. I exercised. And I ate well. Following the wise words of Dr. Oz, I ate lots of fresh produce, fiber, nuts, and such. My new figure thanked me.
One of my favorite dinners for one was a portobello mushroom with cheese and roasted asparagus. I heart portobellos. Their rustic, meatiness makes it a great vegetarian substitute to beef and poultry. The possibilities to topping it are limitless. I still prepare it the same way my girlfriend Anne Nolen and I did in college. I marinate it with soy sauce, teriaki, olive oil, or just good Italian dressing. You can add a little prosciutto (a fun food purchase, feels like a little splurge. One of my favorite things about being single is a pretty fridge. Seeing my prosciutto made me happy. I would pour a glass of red wine and have some prosciutto .Tres Chic! It made me feel fancy and girlie.) Then you can top your portabello with a yummy, meltable cheese. Put your oven on broil. Take the portobello and put in on a small cookie sheet. Toss the asparagus in some olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic if you wee. Broil for about 10-15 minutes. It is satisfying, beautiful, and healthy. I found this recipe and I think that I will be trying it very soon. Even though I am no longer single, it will be a great reason to snuggle up with another good book (alone!). Maybe I will finally break the binding on Twilight! And if you are finding yourself suddenly single. Embrace it. Be your best self... and making him eat his heart out feels pretty good too!

Portobello Mushroom Melts
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/

Put the mushrooms in a lightly oiled ovenproof dish and drizzle the pesto over. Tear the cheese into pieces and divide between the mushrooms. Sprinkle the pine nuts over and grill under a low heat for 8-10 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and melted.
Meanwhile, lightly toast the ciabatta bread. Serve a mushroom on each slice of bread.

Recipe Extra
Replace the mozzarella with dolcelatte, feta or goat's cheese. Sprinkle over some breadcrumbs before grilling and serve with a dressed salad instead of the ciabatta.

323 kcalories, protein 16.2g, carbohydrate 27g, fat 17.4 g, saturated fat 5.7g, fibre 3.2g, salt 1.11 g

4 comments:

Lori said...

Definitely my favorite part of this post was "I kissed boys." Who says they're men anyway???

Anonymous said...

Hi! Its Kristen... Angie's friend from the rooftop tailgating. Now that we're "facebook friends" I find myself clicking on your blog from time to time. Its great! That scarf story was one of my favorites.

But I gotta say... how do you stay so skinny? If I ate all this food I'd be a cow!

Happy Thanksgiving!

CarolinaBlonde said...

@lori - haha! Boy toys!

CarolinaBlonde said...

@kristendianne - ohhhh. Welcome! So nice to get a post from you. Guess who got me the scarf...Angie!