You Are What You Eat

Eat, Drink, and Be Merry!

Friday, October 24, 2008

Simple Pasta Pleasures from the Mama's Kitchen


No one can cook better than our moms. (Well, most moms) It tends to be the simple dishes that we ate as children that are the still the most requested as adults. I remember coming home during college and my mom would have all my favorite dishes in the fridge. (She is truly too sweet!)

If your mom is anything like mine, the meals never had to be fancy or hard to cook in order to please the palate. Most likely, they were concocted by our busy moms during the work week and provided us with something healthy and nutritious...and convenient. I requested these three recipes from my mom to cap off PASTA WEEK. So..from my mom's kitchen to yours...




Garlic Spaghetti

Cook spaghetti....in frying pan either melt some butter or heat some oil ...if using oil..saute sliced garlic.....add pasta......to heat add salt & pepper and powdered garlic (if not the other)

Tuna-Noodle Casserole


Cook not quite half of a bag of wide noodles until still a little firm....grease baking dish....drain and add one can tuna ( I like chunky light)....cook about one cup of peas a little bit and add to dish.....add one can cream of mushroom or celery soup....mix up...add a little more than one half can of milk....mix...add noodles...use some small pats of butter if you want it richer in flavor....top with buttered bread crumbs all over...bake 30 -35 min at 325....you want this dish to be moist.

You can also make salmon casserole this way...I like to use bowties for the pasta and use the best canned salmon.

Tuna Mac Salad

Cook small size pasta...elbows or sm. shells.....chop celery...onions and green or red peppers.....drain and add tuna.....mix together in separate bowl...some mayo, little bit of oil (olive?)...salt, pepper and other seasoning if desired...I often use a little bit of oregano...or Italian seasoning....no garlic....but lots of parsley...I use celery leaves too...very good!!!

2 comments:

MIMILEE said...

Yummy and easy recipes!! Thanks for sharing! My mother was the BEST cook ever! I try so hard to be like her, but somehow I miss the mark! But my hubby likes me cooking and that is all that matters. My sons do love their mom's cooking so that is good too!

CarolinaBlonde said...

Mimilee - thanks for visiting! A grandmother of 5! I am sure there are lots that LOVE your cooking! I would love to hear of one of your favorite recipes!