You Are What You Eat

Eat, Drink, and Be Merry!

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Whatcha got Cookin'? Answer: Salmon with Lemon, Capers, and Rosemary

Salmon with Lemon, Capers, and Rosemary
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
Ingredients
4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary leaves
8 lemon slices (about 2 lemons)
1/4 cup lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
1/2 cup Marsala wine (or white wine)
4 teaspoons capers
4 pieces of aluminum foil
Directions
Brush top and bottom of salmon fillets with olive oil and season with salt, pepper, and rosemary. Place each piece of seasoned salmon on a piece of foil large enough to fold over and seal. Top the each piece of salmon with 2 lemon slices, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of wine, and 1 teaspoon of capers. Wrap up salmon tightly in the foil packets.
Place a grill pan over medium-high heat or preheat a gas or charcoal grill. Place the foil packets on the hot grill and cook for 10 minutes for a 1-inch thick piece of salmon. Serve in the foil packets.

Tonight I decided to make a healthy salmon recipe for dinner. Right now it is in the oven at 350degrees for 10 minutes. I did not feel like starting up the grill for just one entree, so let's see how this goes! Green beans in olive oil and lemon juice are sauteing on the stove. I have leftover feta cheese from last night, so I am going to toss it with those when they are done. I also did not have any white wine in the house and had to purchase a bottle, so I will be par-taking in a glass with dinner. And one with paperwork. And one with my shows! Just kidding..sort-of! I do have a big day tomorrow!

I love salmon, and Jr. is not a big fish fan, so my girlie night at home was the perfect occasion to make this dish. I also decided to purchase a rosemary plant for $2 at Publix instead of buying a small packet of fresh herbs for about $3. We have a window sill herb garden and I thought rosemary would make a nice addition. For some reason, our herbs kept dying. I had a laugh at my sweetie last night, because I found out he watered them EVERY day! I had to google it to prove to him that was too much. Maybe that explains the mishaps with the house plants too! Ha!

Okay, after 10 minutes...the salmon was still a little too pink. Set the timer for 5 minutes and I will check it in a few. Okay...it needed 5+ more minutes. Alright, it took a little longer in the oven, but that's okay.

THE RESULT: The salmon was light, with a hint of lemon, capers, and rosemary. If you are in the mood for a heart-healthy dinner that is easy to prepare, I would definitely suggest this recipe. It would also be pretty for entertaining, and if made on the grill there would be virtually hardly any clean up required. You could also prepare the packets in advance, put in the fridge, and then grill when ready. That would leave plenty of time to mingle with guests. Light sides such as my green beans, orzo, and a Caeser salad would accompany this meal nicely.

Now, after more paperwork...I am going to dive into Twilight! My girlfriends are raving about it.

1 comment:

Lori said...

So let me know about Twilight. I keep hearing about how good it is, but I just can't see getting into something about a vampire. Oh, heading to Parent's Cocktail Friday??