You Are What You Eat

Eat, Drink, and Be Merry!

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Morocco. A seat by the window, please.

I don't know about you, but it has been a crazy week! Between work and personal life, I have not found much time to relax recently! Oh, do you ever have those Calgon moments where you just want to get away?

There is a responsible side to me that lives the corporate, safe lifestyle: of pharmaceutical sales, Junior League meetings, 401K, planning for my future, and regular Columbia BS. Then there is this other side that wants to be a carefree vagabond! Sell all worthy possessions, become an artist, live simply, have long flowing hair, wear beads and sandles, and travel the world with the clothes on my back and a companion at my side! However, I ere on being too practical. While that lifestyle would be wonderful, neither my budget or my schedule can allow for many of those adventures.

I must resort to allowing my taste buds to experiment with different cultures for me! One of my favorite culinary travels is to Indian Pavilion in Five Points. India Pavilion has been in Five Points since 1990, and is a family run business. They specialize in vegetarian, lamb, chicken, and seafood dishes. It took me years to be come a patron, but once I did...it was the exotic flavors that enticed me back for more!

My sweetie and I visited Indian Pavilion a few months back and neither of us could settle on what to order! We chose the Pavilion's Combination Dinner for Two. It is a hearty portion that includes:

Pavilion's Combination Dinner for Two... $31.99
Combination platter, Lamb Rogan Josh, Chicken Tikka Masala, Mixed Vagetable Curry, Basmati Rice, Riata, Nan, Pappadam, Dessert and Tea or Coffee

It was as though each course got better and better. The savory smells and tastes intoxicated us, as did the spicy Indian beers!

Last night I went with a girlfriend. You get a sense of family immediately upon entering. A kind women, dressed in bright pink traditional Indian dress, greeted us and took our orders. We did not have huge appetites and decided to sample a few different items. First was Spinach Paratha, a whole wheat bread stuffed with spinach. It was warm, garlicy, and basted with olive oil. We dipped it into Raita, which is a cool yogurt dip flavored with cucumbers and mint. So delish, you could put it on everything. We also select Nav Rattan Curry: cheese and grated vegetables cooked with nuts and spices and a side of Basmati Rice. We washed it down with an ice cold Indian beer called Flying Horse. It not only satisfied our tastes buds and took us on a mini-adventure to another land, but is happily filled our bellies. Needless to say, it did not do a number on our wallets. The food is rich, spicy, yet at the same time simple, and being so modestly priced, it will keep you coming back again and again!

I urge you to try new restaurants for exotic taste adventures. Maybe someday I will go to Morocco or India or Dubai...but for now I will graciously settle on visiting India Pavilion!

It is fun to live slightly on the edge of responsible and dream. A line from "Almost Famous" goes like this:
When we go to Morocco, I think we should have completely different names and be completely different people.

Maybe mine will be Penny Lane.

Raita (Cucumber and Yogurt Salad)

Recipe courtesy: Padma Lakshmi
www.foodtv.com (not Indian Pavilion)

Ingredients

  • 3 cups plain nonfat yogurt, drained well with cheesecloth or a strainer
  • 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and grated
  • 1/2 cup minced fresh mint leaves
  • 1 hot green chili, seeded and minced, if desired
  • Salt, to taste

Directions

In a bowl combine all the ingredients.

Now you can try this cool, creamy dip at home. Serve with toasted pitas or flat bread!



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about wishing you could escape sometimes and experience everything there is to see in the world (starting with food in every new place of course!). Next time you are looking for a good book, pick up, "Female Nomad" by Rita Golden Gelman. It's the memoir of a woman who did just that-sold it all, packed up and began her life roaming the Earth. It's very well-written and you can easily read a chapter, put it down and come back to in whenever. Hope you get a chance to check it out.

PS-Another "worldly" experience: Zorba's on St. Andrews Rd. Thursday nights=Greek food, live music, and belly dancing.

Anonymous said...

Hey babe!
I appreciate the recipes but something tells me mine wouldn't taste as exciting as the restaurant. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure my cooking would insult them.
Where should we venture to next? I have a couple places in mind.......
probably in Cola though. Someday, we will do Morocco! -Tracy

Lori said...

I've yet to experiece Indian food...guess I don't get out much. I have tried Al Amir in Irmo and its mediterranean food and it was pretty good.

JenGreenwell said...

OH MY GOODNESS!! Indian Pav is one of my all time favorites! My other funky best kept secret ethnic places in Cola include:
Blue Cactus
Mai Thai
Lambs Bread
Punjabi Daba

I am totally down to wine and dine with you WHENEVER!

CarolinaBlonde said...

@brunette - I love your comments! I will have to pick that book up! Seriously! Do you think I could backpack with my Blackberry? By the way, I love Zorba's. Don;t eat there as much, will have to check it out on Thursday's.

@tracy: we will stick to making cocktails...virgin ones for now!

@lori: let's get dinner soon!

@jen: Girl, I will take you up on the offer! I would love to hit the town with your silly butt! Thanks for the restaurant suggestions. Blue Cactus - good food, but slow. :) I love it!