You Are What You Eat

Eat, Drink, and Be Merry!

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Who Do You Think Is The Big Cheese?!

Since Jr. is up in Charlotte at the race tonight, I find myself at home alone. And enjoying every moment. Nobody telling me to get off the computer. Quit playing on facebook, faceblog, mybook, or facespace. He can't ever get it correct. Now my new addiction is bloggin'. To which I usually hear, "Whatcha doing?" "Nothing", I reply. "Blog. Blog. Blog.", he responds back, followed by, "Well, if you are going to play on your computer, then hand me mine." And there we sit, cuddled on the couch, computers on our laps, and myself typing away while he looks for truck parts on eBay. Very 2008.

Tonight I am enjoying some of the red wine I won at the Pumpkin Carving Contest, watching Food Network and blogging away. My belly was STILL full from the food at the Fair and I decided to pass on dinner. Maybe a little late night hunger started to set in, because I usually find Bobby Flay's Throwdown a tiny bit annoying but tonight's episode was different. Bobby was competing with the owners of a restaurant that serves up 31 different varieties of grilled cheese. If you know anything about me, you know that I LOVE cheese!!! My focus was torn from my computer as I heard the words CHEESE: brie, goat, jack, and to top it off BACON!

I think that both of these recipes sound simply delicious. I may have to give them a try this week. They are quite fancy versions of grilled cheese sandwiches. You can't go wrong with a basic grilled cheese and tomato soup combo, but sometimes it is nice to up the anty. I mean...melted brie and bacon. Heavenly!

The Calvert (Stink's Favorite)
Recipe courtesy Connie and Bill "Stink" Fisher

Ingredients
2 tablespoons balsamic mayonnaise
1 (5-inch) round rosemary focaccia
5 slices Monterey Jack cheese
4 ounces oven-roasted turkey, sliced
2 pieces applewood smoked bacon, cooked until crisp
1/2 avocado, sliced into thin strips

Directions
Spread the balsamic mayonnaise on the inside of top and bottom of focaccia. Place with mayonnaise sides facing up on a flat top grill at 350 degrees F. Drape 2 slices of cheese over top and 2 slices over bottom of roll so as to cover the entire surface area. Place dome over focaccia to facilitate melting and even heat. While cheese is melting, place turkey on grill to warm. Place bacon in an "x" over the turkey. Cover with avocado and remaining cheese. Once cheese is melted all around (focaccia and turkey) assemble the grilled cheese and close. Place finished sandwich in a panini grill until roll is crisp and has added squishiness! EAT!!! Yield: 1-2 servings

Grilled Brie and Goat Cheese with Bacon and Green Tomato
Recipe courtesy Bobby Flay, 2008

Ingredients
16 slices center-cut bacon, cut into 1/2-inch thick pieces
2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
8 slices Pullman bread, sliced 1-inch thick
8 to 12 ounces really good quality brie
2 green tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
Watercress
8 ounces soft goat cheese, cut into 8 slices (recommended: Boucheron goat cheese)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions
Place the bacon in a large skillet or griddle and cook until golden brown and crisp. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate. Break each piece into fourths and set aside.
Heat a cast iron griddle or cast iron pan over medium heat.
Spread butter on 1 side of each slice of bread. Layer 4 of the slices of the bread with 3 to 4 slices of brie, 2 tomato slices, watercress, 2 slices goat cheese, and 4 slices of broken up bacon and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place the remaining bread slices on top, butter side up and cook on the griddle until golden brown on both sides and the brie has melted. Yield: 4 servings

4 comments:

CarolinaBlonde said...

Brent Dampier (Charleston, SC) wrote
at 11:51am
I never knew you were that much into food and cooking! Me, too. I thought about a website, blog, or whatever, but thought it would be too much to keep up with. So, I decided to write a cookbook with a unique theme including recipes I've either invented, dreamt, or family modified and give a limited production out for Christmas. That way, I could see how it would be received. Notice the use of past tense? Well, I obviously didn't know what I was getting myself into timewise (writing, editing, modifying) or pricewise. Anyway, I am going forward with it, but it won't be ready for Christmas. Maybe sometime next summer. I've got about 100 personal recipes and I'd like to have 150. I should be able to whip that out by then. Oh, and I've found someone to produce it for me. I think what you're doing is interesting and, well, it's a great idea. Keep up the good work!

CarolinaBlonde said...

J. Young wrote at 7:35am
I love your website!

CarolinaBlonde said...

E. Newsome wrote at 9:50pm
Hey! I loooove your blog!! How are things going? Hope to see you soon.

CarolinaBlonde said...

F. Mode at 2:43pm October 6
love it lisa. great idea. looking foward to more. quite funny too