You Are What You Eat

Eat, Drink, and Be Merry!

Monday, December 1, 2008

A hunter has no trouble loving the woman powerful enough to make him come home.

My girlfriend's mother once told her to never date a doctor or a hunter if she wanted her husband to be around. She married a boat manufacturer, so I think that she did just fine. However, for all of those other ladies out there who did end up with a fellow that is also married to hunting, they know very well that hunters are away a lot during hunting season (and the seasons never stop!). If you married a doctor that likes to hunt, I don't feel too bad for you because hopefully you can use some of his earnings and comfortably entertain yourself while he is gone. I have dated my fair share of hunters and to be honest with you, I quite enjoy the breed. I think that they look cute in camo.

I understand the addiction to hunting and the outdoors. I do not think that there is anything like a fresh, dewy morning on a farm. In the past I actually fell for a guy when I saw he loved to hunt! I told him that he had me at deer stand when I saw them sitting in his dining room. I mean, where else do you put them? I think it is silly and entertaining that turkey hunting is all about mating. What if we fell for the whole rubber jake thing!? And if you are lucky, your little hunter will bring you home breakfast from the Biscuit House on his way home. Plus, in comparison to other so called "male" hobbies - you always know where they are.

An even better bonus is that they sure know how to cook! For the game on Saturday, we went to a friend's house and he had smoked a pork tenderloin to mesquite perfection, and served it with creamy mashed potatoes and peas-n-tomatoes. It was simple and delicious. A hunter can whip up catfish stew, mustard fried venison, or deep fry a turkey in a jiffy. Pair that with cast-iron peach cobbler, homemade corn bread, and squash casserole...mmmmm. What time are you leaving and when are you coming back is all I have to ask? I can deal with the incessant turkey calls in the house, the overflowing truck beds full of decoys, and the obsession with the outdoor network.

I was once on the women's committee for Ducks Unlimited and we put together a cookbook called "Pintail Magic in the Kitchen." It is chalk full of yummy recipes. One of my favorite wild game dishes is Mexican Doves. Don't worry South Carolinians, dove season starts back up on Dec. 15th. If your fellow is an avid dove hunter, talk him into taking the breasts off the bone. It is worth the extra effort and this side dish will melt in your mouth. Take my word for it, I have sat in my fair share of fields and passed the time picking at dried up corn and sunflowers.

Mexican Doves
A delicious addition to any meal!
To prepare one Mexican Dove:
Take a single dove breast (deboned) and top with a slice of monterry jack cheese, a jalapeno, and wrap with a slice of bacon. Hold together with a tooth pick and then grill over a hot grill, abt 3-5 minutes per side.

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/

CHECK OUT THIS EVENT BEING HELD AT
THE CONGAREE GRILL ON DECEMBER 2ND.

Congaree Grill
827 Harden Street - Columbia, South Carolina 29205 803-771-8001

From Tommy Price:
Wild Game Wine Dinner this Tuesday night, December 2nd at 6:30pm. Chef Kyle has prepared a great menu and Kristin from Republic National has paired some great wines. The cost is only $25 per person. We also will have pre-sell wines for 10% over our cost. Now that's a deal. Below is the menu.

WILD GAME WINE DINNER MENU

Starter: Roasted Rabbit Gumbo over Carolina Plantation Rice.
Wine Pairing: Allegrini Valpolicella, Italy

Appetizer: Wild Mushroom Pate with Duck Mousse, Served with Crostini.
Wine Pairing: Lab-Roi Pinot Noir, France

Entree: Venison Osso Bucco served over Yukon Gold Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Topped with Natural Jus.
Wine Pairing: Allegrini Paldzzo Della Torre, Italy

Dessert: Maple Gingersnap Gelato
Wine Pairing: Michelle Chiano Muscato B' Asti, Italy

EMAIL CONGAREEGRILL@HOTMAIL.COM to make reservations or call 803-771-8001

Finally, I am looking for readers to share their favorite wild game recipes with me!
Please email me at:
blondeappetit@gmail.com

3 comments:

CarolinaBlonde said...

via facebook:
M. Hanna wrote at 3:01pm
I drink a hot cup of sleepytime tea EVERY night with lemon and honey from Papa Powers' friends beehive! Ask Trisha...I've been drinking it for YEARS. In college, I used to call is Sleepyhead tea!

CarolinaBlonde said...

via facebook:
A. Varner
Let me know if you want any input on http://blondeappetit.com on barbecuing/smoking meats. Check out my photo albums, particularly the ones with my Big Green Egg (http://www.biggreenegg.com). I'll have some photos/video clips of my beef brisket this weekend.

CarolinaBlonde said...

via email
G. Potts
That was cute! I wish I had sound on my computer b/c the elf thing looked pretty darn funny!